Role models are storytellers. They are volunteers who have a pivotal role in our educational workshops. Each workshop features at least one role model who shares a 5-minute personal lived experience story about facing prejudice and/or bullying themselves, or being an ally to those who do.
Role model stories are unique, personal and seek to inspire empathy in students and young people:
**Majority of these sessions are staff trainings held during late afternoons with a minimum half-hour commitment to a maximum of full days.
A trained facilitator is the workshop lead and has overall responsibility for the delivery of the workshop and a role model has a supportive role to the facilitator.
All role models will:
- attend an initial two-hour training session
- be required to consent to checks on their suitability to volunteer with children, including completing a DBS check
- comply with DRM’s policies (e.g. safeguarding, volunteer)
- complete an annual update of information in line with DRM’s GDPR policy
We understand that personal or professional commitments may prohibit an individual from volunteering for periods of time, therefore we ask our volunteers to keep us updated when their circumstances will prohibit them from volunteering.
Register your interest here
Watch an example role model story
Role Model FAQs
Diversity Role Models (DRM) is committed to developing and fostering a symbiotic relationship with role models.
- provide role models with volunteer opportunities to share their personal lived experience story
- communicate workshop dates and requirements with as much notice as practically possible
- support role models through initial and ongoing training and education
- provide opportunities for engagement with other volunteers (e.g. networking and fundraising events)
- positively promote and celebrate role models via communications where appropriate
Role models have no legal status, binding obligations, or role in the management of the organisation. A role model or DRM has the right to terminate the volunteer agreement at any time.